In the Midlands, London and the South East we have a growing, active network of businesses around the prisons that we work in.
The Business Beating Time network supports Beating Time by:
- Attending our concerts & events – Concerts & events are an opportunity to support choir participants, scout for new talent and introduce new employers to the network.
We have had nearly 100 employers attend our concerts and events so far.
We are always looking to develop our network – if you are interested in finding out more about Business Beating Time please get in contact.
- Changing employment practices and policies to be positive to ex-offenders.
- Asking suppliers to follow their lead.
- Providing job opportunities, ‘ring-fenced’ for ex-offenders – ideally those choir participants that they have met through our concerts & events.
From one of our events in HMP Birmingham in December 2017, Business Beating Time generated 7 job opportunities for ex-offenders that we had worked with on the inside.
“Finding Choir was wicked. It brought me out of my shell and made me feel good. I’ve met some lovely people. This time last year I wouldn’t have got that interview and if I had I wouldn’t have turned up.”
Ex-offender, HMP Birmingham
- Mentoring – coming in to prison and helping Restart participants with their business plans.
- Becoming customers of businesses born behind walls.
Blue Sky Developments
We have forged a great relationship with an employment agency called Blue Sky Developments, which is exclusively for ex-offenders. With our help they have expanded in to the West Midlands. With their help our Employers Network have gained the confidence to offer jobs to people we have worked with in prison. Uniquely Blue Sky employs people directly for short periods and sub-contract them to the ultimate employer. This gives everyone time to see if the placement will work, whilst Blue Sky support both the employer and employee. Since 2005 they have employed over 1,300 ex-offenders.